Sunday, June 18, 2006

Gripped



This evening at church was a communion service. To be honest, I never really understood communion growing up. I never looked forward to them because the service seemed to take so much longer on a communion Sunday. But as I am learning and growing I look forward to them as a breath of fresh air in my life.
I feel like I get to lift my head above the everydayness of my life and gaze in wonder and awe again at the sacrifice Christ made for me. As Pastor said tonight "God forbid that we should ever be bored as we come to sup at His table. May we be gripped by the greatness of God."

When was the last time I was truly gripped by the greatness of God? When was the last time you stood in awe at who He is and what He has done? How is it that our everyday life keeps our eyes down, blind to all that God is doing in His world? What if we spent more time looking up? What would we see?
Have you ever looked at a flower? I mean really looked? Have you studied it's shape? Color? Texture? Could you ever imagine something so beautiful? Have you ever gotten lost in the stars? Gazed at them until you almost couldn't breathe, there were so many? Have you ever stopped to watch a sparrow and marveled at it's simple beauty?
We are surrounded by God's masterpieces. His good creation. All creation sings His praises just by doing what it has been designed to do. I sometimes wonder how we go about our days, oblivious to the beauty around us. We choose to be blind.
I get lost in the simple things sometimes. I occasionally feel that I'm not much older than some of my neices and nephews. Bugs fascinate me.
Some kind of flying insect landed on my Bible in this morning's worship service, right above Malachi 1:14, and I stared at it for about 5 minutes. (while continuing to pay attention to the sermon). Every summer I find an inch worm. It is one of the highlights of the season. Last year it was a big green one that I let crawl around on me for about 1/2 hour. (everyone else thought I was crazy and there may be something to that) I'm always amazed at how they move. I haven't found one yet this summer but I'm still looking.
Sometimes I just lay next to my son and stare. I try to memorize all of him and soak him into my being. He is fascinating. God knit him together in my womb! I am completely blown away by him everyday. He truly is fearfully and wonderfully made.
Sometimes I feel wierd that I am so easily engrossed in such seemingly simple things. But to me it is more than just an odd habit. It's worship. I don't worship the creation, I'm worshiping the creator. I get so caught up in all the beauty in my world that sometimes it's hard to do much else. I don't know how we all don't go out of our minds trying to soak in just how great God is simply from what He reveals about Himself in Creation (not to mention what the Bible reveals about Him).

There are no words to describe Him.

I want to be further gripped by God's greatness. I want to be more aware of Him in my days. Not just when I'm struggling, but in the "little" things. His good gifts are everwhere.
"The whole earth is full of His glory".

3 Comments:

At 9:48 AM, Blogger mymeanderings said...

Love your reminder to see His greatness in everyday life!

 
At 11:22 AM, Blogger mymeanderings said...

I sent you an email let me know that it came through! I am always unsure when I send it through the blog link.

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Pathway Church said...

Those are powerful observations. Can you teach me how to stare and pay attention to sermons as well? That would be a nifty trick next time I'm sitting behind the guy with a hair peice.

P.S. Don't tell him, but your blog is better than Chris'

Mine too probably :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home