Saturday, April 01, 2006

the eyes have it

My son can't speak yet.
At 3 1/2 months I think he's a brilliant child, but not
that advanced.
He communicates in various and often impolite grunts and squeals, with the occasional wail. But his most effective mode of communication is with his eyes. They are settling into a nice shade of brown with a little green in the mix, absolutely beautiful.
He is currently staring at his picture on the screen with wide eyes. Maybe he thinks he's beautiful too. (we'll have to work on the humility thing later)
I wish I knew the thoughts behind those eyes. What is it that is making him laugh and squint them up into little slits? What made him cry and fill them with tears while his little lip went into full pout? Right now I'm the one that does the talking in our relationship. Someday he will have much to add to our conversation. I can't wait to hear his thoughts.

It's been said that he has the Jeffery eyes. When I was little I was told my eyes got me into trouble. Our family was moving and I so desperately wanted to tell my dearest friend. I came home from school one day and told my mother that I didn't say anything to her but "I told her with my eyes." She didn't get the message but I felt better and my parents got a good laugh.

His eyes are not my eyes, they are his own (if they were mine he would be in desperate need of glasses). I wonder how he will see life through them? I pray every day that he will see his world through the lense of God's Word. Life doesn't begin to make sense until then. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the responsibility of showing him how to live life this way. I fail so often. But I can show him a work of God's grace in progress. And that's all any of us really have to offer. God's grace poured through His clumsy children.

2 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, John is adorable. I love his big brown eyes! They come from Grandma Midge Jeffery's side. I have been doing our family tree, and its neat to see those family traits in the next generation.
He is so blessed to have a Godly mommy who also cares for his soul. :)

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John is so handsome. You guys are very blessed with him...and his eyes.
~Andrea

 

Post a Comment

<< Home