Tuesday, April 04, 2006

April 4, 2006

Today John and I went to Barnes and Noble. It was a beautiful, sunny, spring day but the wind kept us indoors. Even when I'm inside just knowing that the sun is out puts me in a better mood. I mainly went out because I had the means (transportation) to do so. It's amazing what the freedom of a vehicle will do for a new mom.
While I was supporting my local Starbucks distributor (as every good Jeffery should) I made my usual Barnes & Noble rounds. I am terribly predictable. I walk in the door and make a right down one of the first aisles. There I select 5-10 books on my artistic expression of choice (knitting, crocheting or jewelry making). (I cringe at saying crafting because it conjures up horrible images of 1980's country knick-knacks.) Then I plant myself in the cafe in the back, most private corner and absorb as much as I can of what I read. I'm always overwhelmed by all the ideas I see.
I tend to be ADD when it comes to "crafting". I find a great idea and want to start it as soon as is humanly possible and then I get bored until the next inspiration comes along. I am proud to say that I am currently only involved in two yarn projects. One of them is going to be my first afghan. Right now it is just two balls of yarn and a crochet hook but soon it will be a beautiful and comfy blanket... I hope. Some of my great ideas sit in the back of my knitting box, unfinished, taunting me from across the room. There's something of failure mixed in with my impulsive "crafting". I feel guilty that I'm not always faithful with what I start. Maybe I should be finding some deep meaning (namely that last phrase) about myself in this tendency. Or maybe I should just stop looking at knitting books. For now I think I'll start my afghan and see where it takes me.

2 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rach,
I LOVE how you blog. It isn't pretencious or assuming. It's just you. Hearing your remarks about going out simply because you 'could' (having a vehicle) and explaining the method to your madness at the bookstore cracked me up. I'm nutty like that too. I have my little routines that make me predictable. I also thought that I was the only one with unfinished projects lieing about!! LOL how comforting to know that I'm not alone in that. :) have a beautiful day!

 
At 10:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, the parental Barnes and Noble trip. A great chance to smell the brew and peruse some mags for free. Now, to take the whole S$ thing to the next level: A truly dedicated Jeffery coffee drinker not only patronizes his local coffeehouse, but he also buys their stock to further display his confidence in the product offerings. I love you three and hope you have a fabulous Thursday.
Much love,
Daniel

 

Post a Comment

<< Home