Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Educating my Emotions




"Ascension is one of the harder things about being a Christian, I find. Think how much easier belief would be if Jesus had just hung around Earth for the last 2,000 years. It is sometimes a challenge to remember the Incarnation—to remember that God actually has a body and is not invisible when He seems invisible, because He happens to be up in Heaven." Lauren Winner
( www.laurenwinner.net I would reccomend anything she has written. She's excellent!)


Why is it so hard to trust the Lord?
Is it because I can't see Him?
I know He's so real but it's hard to hold onto sometimes when my problems seem more visible than He does. But is seeing really believing?
Sometimes I think about the Israelites and all of the signs and wonders they saw. Doesn't it blow your mind how few chapters of Exodus separate the parting of the Red Sea and the golden calf? I've always thought that I would have more faith than they did if I saw God's hand work in such obvious ways.
And yet I do the exact same thing.
God has so obviously provided for me. He has moved his hand in my life in a multitude of ways. Many times I have been at the end of my rope and He has rescued me just in the nick of time. But each time I face a new challenge my faith falters.
"Has God forgotten me? Where is He? How will I get through this one?"
Will I ever instinctively trust Him? Does He have to keep proving Himself to me? Hasn't He already done enough to merit my eternal, unwavering trust? Do I really have the gall to question the Master of the Universe?
Apparently I do.
"Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?" Romans 7:24

I'm human and thus fallen. We were originally made to trust God but sin has twisted that. Now I doubt Him unreasonably. But I have new life in Christ!!! He points me to hope and a future! God will provide everything I need. I can trust what I know to be true about Him. And that is a truth more real than the doubts in my head.

2 Comments:

At 5:57 PM, Blogger mymeanderings said...

Wow! So true about how the chapters, it is such a short Jump to the idolatry. I have not heard of that author, what is your fav thing that she wrote? I will have to seek her writings out!
I love the title you chose for this post, very fitting!

 
At 7:46 PM, Blogger Brewer said...

Lauren Winner is a Christian who converted from Orthodox Judaism. She tells her story in "Girl Meets God". That's my favorite of her books. Another good one is "Real Sex, the Naked Truth About Chastity."
She's a very colorful writer...not terribly conservative.:) But she's profound and refreshing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home