Friday, April 14, 2006

Say What?

I was chatting with my mother today about journaling.
She's struggling with the whole concept because she doesn't feel that she has anything important to write about.
I've had similar conversations with others who find themselves with writer's block when it comes to recording personal thoughts. "What's so important or exciting in my life?" "I don't have anything profound to say."
I have gone through large patches of my life without writing anything down and I have regretted it. Why didn't I write about my first year of marriage? What an interesting time of life that was! Now I have to rely on my memory to re-live those fun days. I wish I had at least written down the events and a little of how I was feeling at the time.
Journaling for me takes the place of therapy (some close friends and family may wish I had opted for the therapy). When I see my thoughts and emotions on paper they seem less overwhelming and I have an easier time being objective. However this usually means that I would be tempted to dismember anyone who tried to read my journal. No one, not even Chris is allowed access to my journal uninvited.
So this makes blogging a bit different than journaling. By posting this on the web I am inviting you, my (if only imaginary) reader, to read my thoughts. Because I have a respect for the general well-being of mankind, I will not confide in my blog like I do my journal. No one needs to be put through that.
I write about my life. As a stay-at-home-mom my life consists of diapers and spit-up and other less than savory gifts from my child. This isn't the stuff of a best selling novel. But this is the life I have chosen. These are the people I have chosen to give my life to. Aren't they precious?!
(I love this picture!)
If I value Chris and John enough to give my days to them, then their daily events matter. It's not always glamorous, but it's important. So I'm going to write about it.
I write to make sense of the thoughts in my head. I write so I can show the world my beautiful family. I write so I can see that I'm doing something with my days. Sometimes I write just to enjoy the sound of my fingers on the keyboard.
I write because I can.
I want to remember these days and how I feel right now (currently I am tired and hungry). I want to remind myself of what makes the people in my life so special. I want to look back and see how God was working in my life and how he has grown me.
I hope my Mom finds herself journaling soon. I think her life is so important. It's so important to me! She has much wisdom and experience to fill many pages.
I think she has plenty to write about.

4 Comments:

At 12:10 AM, Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

You never know who will drop by your blog, even people you don't know. Like me. I have never ever been able to keep a paper journal, and I am one of those who would much rather email than write (though I do prefer land lines to cell phones). But blogging has stuck with me for over two years now. I hope you enjoy the journey! And that is an adorable little boy you have. :-)

 
At 5:21 PM, Blogger Brewer said...

Erin,
Thank you for your kind words! It's nice to get encouragement from a veteran blogger.
I'm curious how you found my blog. I'm still a novice and don't know my way around yet.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger Erin (moviemuse) said...

I used the "Next Blog" button at the top right of the Blogger bar. I am always fascinated to see what I will find. Every time you click the button, even from your own blog as a starting point, you get something different. Some of it is junk (advertising and such, no real content), some of them haven't been updated in years, but some are worth seeing. Like yours!

 
At 12:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel, hands down, you are one of my favorite bloggers. why? because your blog isn't full of 'fluff'. You are real. and you write incredibly!! my favorite line from this entry? "I write because I can".
AWESOME! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home