Monday, November 27, 2006

Louise

I got a sad phone call last Wednesday.
My friend Louise is gone.
She slipped peacefully from this part of life to the part where she gets to walk with her Saviour face-to-face.
I am happy for her.
But I am sad for me.

Louise was a dear friend and mentor to me. Our relationship is a bit unusual. She was old enough to be my grandmother but we went out for breakfast every week.
When I was in Jr. High she snatched me up and began to "culture" me. I must have needed it because she took me to all kinds of plays and musicals to help me develop a taste for the arts. She also began giving me books. The first book she ever gave me was "The Diary of Anne Frank" and then she took me to see the play at a local synagogue. It was a night I will never forget.
Louise gets the credit for my love of Classic Literature. She rarely came to see me without another book under her arm for my growing library. Most of the books on my shelf are from her. She loved a good story that was well written and called herself "The Literary Evangelist". An appropriate title as I am one of her many converts impacted by her love for reading.
She was one of the most vibrant people I have ever met.
I always got an ear-full of encouragement whenever we spoke.
"God's got big plans for you Rachel."
She believed in Chris and I and our dreams. She really thought we had something to offer. Words that every seminary-wife and new mom needs to hear. She had the gift of encouragement oozing out of every pore.

I almost wrote about her earlier. But I didn't take the time.
I hope she knew how she impacted me. I know I told her. But it never seems like enough when you just want that one last chance to say it.
"I love you"
"You changed my life"
"You're so special."
"Thank You."

I am so grateful that God gave me her friendship. I have been so blessed.

5 Comments:

At 9:16 AM, Blogger mymeanderings said...

Louise sounds like a woman any one of us would have treasured.
I know this is painful for you Rachel. I am sure she can fill her own volumes now with all that she is seeing and experiencing!

 
At 10:11 PM, Blogger The Tiquehunters Wife said...

Louise sounds like a woman who took Titus 2:3-5 very seriously. God has truly blessed you by bringing her into your life to teach and encourage you. Now you can use what you have learned from this dear lady to encourage and minister to others and in doing so give glory to our God. I know you will miss her and I will be keeping you in my prayers.
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our tribulation," 2 Corinthians 1:3,4a

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

What a tribute to your loving friend and mentor...
May the God of all comfort bring you the peace that passes all understanding...and may you someday mentor someone else who He brings across your path.

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Julie said...

My heart is sad for you at the loss of such a dear friend and sister in Christ. But heaven is rejoicing right now and what a wonderful thing it is to know that you will see her again. Love you!

 
At 12:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel,
Beautiful! I believe that Louise was aware of your love and appreciation for her. You always express yourself so graciously to those that you love. Louise blessed us both. I adore you my dear sister!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home